12 de nov. de 2006

Where do you wanna go?

I've waked up a day and completely forgot where my glasses was. I wonder about trying to Google it: "glasses, on my house". That doesn't seems so far as maps details has enhanced a lot last years/months/days. Maybe in a brief future...

There are many companies investing on services about maps, routes and tracking. There are many applications available, most known is Google Maps and Microsoft Live Search.
But specifically to my own country it does not exists a free and good routes service - so I'm trying Maplink. Both Google and Microsoft have single maps solutions and Directions. This is Microsoft Local Live for a Rio route I did:



A brief comparation between Google and Microsoft about that:
- Google has not a easily search for directions. I could not trace the same route.
- Google has the Hybrid view in detailed level.
- Microsoft is more easier than Google for directions
- Microsoft has not Hybrid view in detailed level.
- Tried but no roads/streets layers on Google Earth.

I am in Rio this week and I'm having a really good experience tracing point to point routes using Maplink. It also gives the Taxi's costs, shows attactions, theaters, museums and tourism places.




Maplink services are also available to a GPS HW which is being sell for R$2,299.00 - very expensive in my opnion as it doesn't cover all the country, but only main cities.

Mobility companies has already GPS integrated in it's released mobile phones as some in N-Series from Nokia. I believe this is make cheaper costs of this kind of service in the future, and no more attached to HW, but SW and content.

Belong the world you can research for other companies with the same business. I've read about NAVTEQ and TRAFFIC - companies whose are working on maps and routes in USA.

Update: Look, Google improvements on Google Local for mobile and about location.

Nenhum comentário: